Monday, October 7, 2013

Throw yourself a party!

This morning I woke up ready to throw a party! Don't get too excited, it was a pity party.

Yesterday was kind of a crummy day. Nothing big, just life--you know, kids who were either under the weather or too tired from a big weekend (or a little of both), a few things that didn't go according to plan, a squabble (yes, I said "squabble") with my hubby. And to top it off, Joey went to bed with a barky cough, so I slept lightly all night, wondering if we were going to need a trip to the ER. (That poor kid gets croup so easily.)

And at first, this morning seemed to just pick up where yesterday left off. I was ready to throw in the towel before my big kids even got on the bus. Let's just wave the white flag and call it a day.

But I didn't. I cancelled the pity party and decided to reclaim my Monday.

I started by reading 2 Corinthians 12:7-10, one of my favorite passages:
"Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

One thing I know for sure: today I was feeling weak. What better time to hand it over to God and let His strength be mine. "When I am weak, then I am strong."

Next, I went to the gym. I almost didn't go. Even at the intersection where I could turn one way to the gym and the other to Giant Eagle, I wavered. But I made it there--and God blessed me with a friendly face to brighten my morning. (Thanks, Deb!) I'm not saying it was the greatest workout I've ever done, but it was good to get my heart pumping and my body moving.

And on the way home, I listened to some great music with Joey. If you were at the brunch last spring, you heard me talk about a group called Go Fish. They make great music for kids that doesn't drive parents crazy--in fact, it's pretty darn catchy. How can you listen to songs like this and NOT be in a good mood?

 
 
Oh, and one last thing. I did eventually stop by Giant Eagle, and I picked up a small treat for my hubby and dropped it off at his office on the way home. I loved being able to add a little happiness to his day, and doing something nice for others is a great way to perk up your day, too!
 
So now Joey and I are home. And I've cancelled the pity party. It's time for a dance party instead! I am taking Monday back!
 
I don't know about you, but I have wrestled enough with depression and crazy emotions to know that I need some tools at my disposal to help on rough days. I've shared a few of them here--Scripture, exercise, upbeat music, doing something nice for someone else. There are more, but these are a great start.
 
What does your toolbox look like? What things help you to turn your day around when it's just not headed in the right direction?

No comments:

Post a Comment